The dress code is designed to reduce the likelihood of distraction or disruption to the daily academic focus. Mill Creek High School should be considered a work place and students should dress accordingly. Instruction is interrupted when a student is referred to an administrator for inappropriate dress. If in the judgment of the administration or staff a student is dressed inappropriately, the student will be required to change clothing.
(Special Circumstances are addressed in writing to the Principal.)
Hats and other head coverings are not permitted on campus at ANY TIME.
1. Headgear: Headgear is prohibited and must be kept out of site in the building (hats should not be carried or worn in the building). This includes, but is not limited to, hoods, bandannas, wave caps, sweatbands, sunglasses, or any other head wearing. No combs, rakes, curlers, or picks may be worn in the hair.
2. Shirts/blouses/tops/t-shirts: Blouses/shirts will be constructed so that the tops of the shoulders are covered (no halter tops, strapless tops, spaghetti straps or bare shoulder tops of any type will be allowed). Blouses/shirts, which expose any portion of the waist, hips, or midriff, are not allowed. (If you raise your arms to shoulder level and the stomach shows, the top is unacceptable). Other blouses/shirts that are not appropriate for school include, but are not limited to, low-cut, see through, backless or tube tops. Rips or holes are not allowed in shirt/tops. Boys are not to wear sleeveless shirts.
3. Dresses/shorts/skirts: All dresses, shorts and skirts must be no shorter than 8 inches from the bottom of the knee. Waistline of shorts/skirts/pants must be on or above hips with no underwear showing.
4. Pants: There should be no slits, rips or holes that reveal inappropriate areas of the body.
5. Students may not wear trench coats to school.
6. Pajamas and sleepwear: No pajamas or sleepwear that is considered inappropriate for the school setting.
7. Shoes: Shoes must be worn at all times.
8. Leggings or Spandex Tights: No spandex pants, see-through tights, or leggings worn alone or without appropriate outer garment (see #3 above).
9. No students clothing should display words or symbols that are inflammatory, derogatory, insulting to other students, or in reference to gangs. Articles of clothing, which have words or designs that are suggestive, obscene, or in related to drugs or alcohol, are prohibited.
10. Spikes, chains, or other items which might be considered weapons are prohibited.
11. Dress Code requirements apply to all school days.
12. Any student dress/appearance not specifically stated which the faculty or staff deems undesirable will not be permitted.
It is essential that students respect the learning environment by being appropriately dressed for school. The purpose of the student dress code is not to inhibit any person's taste in attire, but rather to better facilitate the process of education through reasonable guidelines of dress, instilling dignity and pride.